videos worth watching


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Wed. January 28

I have never, ever had a January go by so quickly. Maybe it's not only because we work hard, but also we have nice days to enjoy the sunshine and run around without coats. I love the variety of weather here in Sherman. We had an ice storm here over the last two days. Ice is hanging from everywhere! We have to basically "crawl" up the stairs to our apartment. Half of the stairs are coated with ice and water. But it beautiful to see it hanging from all of the trees, branches, and shrubbery here in Sherman. This morning our car doors were frozen shut and the car was coated with a thick layer of ice.

Curtis called early this morning to ask us how the ice was here. Evidently they got their share of ice in Austin too. It is funny because people here really do not know what to do in ice. School has been cancelled, and things have been somewhat shut down.

I have had some intestinal blah this past week. It only happens when I eat. So maybe that is a sign for me to stop eating. Anyway we are carrying on. I couldn't have been very sick because when Elder Whiting suggested going to the Olive Garden for "Linner" I jumped at the chance. But it was a great experience. So-o-o-o-o good!!!

We have been working with the Bray family whose family knew Kaye and Rob and family back in the days. Brother Bray was about 5 years old when the accident happened and remembers how upset the community was. Bro. Bray's father worked at the University with Rob and they also knew them in the ward. Bro Bray's father was their Stake President. Loren, (Bro Bray) has a wife who is a non-member. He met her when he was having some feelings of rebelliousness, but has since straightened up his life. His wife has had the missionary lessons several times and still has not been baptized. We have met with her twice and we are just trying to uncover the things we need to teach her and work with her about. They have three children and live in the Sherman 2nd ward, and we love them all.

So Brother Bray is the manager of the Olive Garden here and we are always telling him how we love to go there for there Zuppa Toscana Soup. He says that is about the most popular. Anyway so we went there this afternoon. We didn't see him anywhere, but we were busy talking about our missionary work and plans for the week. The first thing we know they are delivering our salad and breadsticks and soup . . . then here comes Brother Bray with two small bowls of dip for our bread sticks. We thought that was so nice and we did enjoy the dip. It was yummy!!

We ate all the salad, soup and breadsticks we could and got ready to go. The waiter came to bring us the check and said, "This is on the house! We hope you enjoyed your dinner!" Wasn't that such a nice thing to do? We have never had that happen before. It was so nice of him to do that. We called and thanked him. Our tummies were very full of everything.

Our missionary work is going forward. We taught Christi today about Faith, Repentance and Baptism. The young Spanish Elders came also and they helped. They are such sweet Elders. Christy's sister, Joann, was there and she asked if she could have the lessons too! Wow!! When we first started the lesson today, we invited her in and Christy said JoAnn wasn't interested, that she liked her own church. So we said, okay, well you can listen if you want. So she did.

Christy is the live in of a member of the church. We are trying to get them married. So we are teaching her so she can understand that she needs to live the Lord's law of chastity. It is a long story, but we hope she will continue to listen and be baptized. The spirit was strong today. I think we will teach JoAnn separately.

We had our meetings today with both ward missionary committee. We are doing more in the second ward than in the first. But we are trying to open up the 2nd ward because they have not been doing much. There is definitely a lot of potential.

Tomorrow we are meeting with several people and we hope that none of them cancel. We haven't been doing well on Thursday and Fridays. People just get tired and want to be left alone.

I talked to Linda today and she thinks that Grandma is about the same. This could go on for another week, so we will just wait and know that the Lord will have just the right time planned for it.

My stomach is doing flip flops from all the stuff I ate at the Olive Garden today. But darn it, it was worth it. It was so good. Things are going well for us, we are enjoying the people very much. We did find out today that one of the couples that we met with this past week is being investigated for identity theft. One of the counselors in the Bishopric is the captain in the police force. He told us not to go there any more, they were dangerous. They looked pretty innocent to us. Interesting stuff!

6 comments:

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

Scary stuff, identity theft. At least you can pray for them, right?

Jenn said...

You want to know something interesting, Mom? I started not feeling too well a couple of days ago. My stomach just will hurt for no reason at all and then an hour later it will be fine. I woke up with a headache this morning and it got so bad by the afternoon that I had to lie down and take something for it. Then later in the evening I thought I was doing better so I made dinner for the family and by the time Brett walked in the door I was lying down feeling like I was going to be sick. Weird! I went and lied down again and a few hours later I was feeling a little better and craving food again.

Hmmmmm....I have been questioning myself whether it is sympathy pains or if I have whatever that thing that's going around in the peanut butter recall. And maybe I'm going to die because of it and maybe that's why I have been feeling a greater desire to get my house more in order. Weird thoughts are definitely going around in my head. Maybe it's all just because I need to take it easy on myself for a while.

Anyway, I am glad that you had your Olive Garden dinner. And free is even better! We love Olive Garden.

Anonymous said...

I started feeling a little sick today. I seem to have lost my appetite. I was glad to read about Grandma F. Take it easy mom and Jenn. Hi Areesa!

just a random genius said...

Okay people, stop all this talk about being sick. I feel perfectly fine, and I refuse to get sick, even if you insist it's going around.

It's funny how some communities are prepared for ice and cold and others just grind to a halt. I was talking to a girl from North Dakota today and she said the only time she remembers school being canceled was when the temperature got down to 80 degrees below zero. 80 DEGREES BELOW ZERO! Good grief.

That was nice of that brother to pay for your olive garden dinner! I had an experience like that once on my mission. My companion and I were shopping and some random guy who we'd never met before came over and handed us shopping gift cards and said, "Here you go, sisters!" That was it. Wow! I'm often impressed by the generosity of others.

I don't think you should go back to that identity theft house! Listen to the police captain guy. He knows what he's talking about. (although I went into some pretty stupid places when I was a missionary. I'm thinking of the time we were out talking to a group of guys on the street, unaware that most of them were drunk. Some sober guy came over and told us we shouldn't be there because it wasn't safe. But we thought we were invincible.) Anyway, remember to be careful!

princesshaibell said...

How do we know this is mom posting this? It might be that identity thief. If this is really mom, tell us where your glasses are?

How cool that you got a free meal at the Olive Garden. I never got anything free on my mission except for a really bad case of scabies.

Sounds like you guys are doing well. Keep your head up and know that our Heavenly Father is directing the work.

grandma w. said...

Thank you to each of you. We feel the direction of the spirit continually in the things we do. It is fun to have your thoughts and advice. Mom