Yesterday was our 44th wedding anniversary!! We thought of each other while we were miles apart! How blessed we have been in our lives as we have shared memories, love, and experiences. It has gone by way too fast, except at those times when it didn't go by fast enough, like when we were having trials to test our faith and anything else we didn't like!!
I arrived home at 1:40 p.m. today and it is so nice to be home again with Elder Whiting. I missed him and I know he missed me too. It just put all of our missionary work on hold since he couldn't do things without a companion! He did really well, though, in taking care of the baptism and keeping the branch motivated. Elder Whiting is truly an amazing man with a spirit 6 miles high and as spiritually strong as a hurricane when it attacks! It is such a great experience to work with him.
I have been in Syracuse and Ogden for the last five days. What an experience!! Grandpa Ferrell passed away on Wednesday night and all of our family except for Suzette was able to be there. Suzette just couldn't make it happen with so many other things going on in her life. I know, though, if it had been possible she would have been there. She respected and loved Grandpa Ferrell.
Kevin and Kim opened their home to all that could make it. Megan and Milton stayed with Milton's Uncle to save their sanity, (which I think was wise.) But they were with us a lot and it worked out well for sleeping arrangements. Wendy and Jeff and Alysa and Reed both drove in on Saturday morning in time for the viewing, from Idaho Falls and Meridian. Jon and Jen came in on Thursday, Curtis, Megan and Laura came on Friday, Alyson and Trevor arrived from Michigan at 7:30 Saturday morning after driving for two days straight pulling their jeep, (trailor.) We were so very blessed that there was no accidents or big problems. I know that those on the other side were watching over us in our travels. I flew in on Thursday about noon and Kevin picked me up and took me to Ogden to see Grandma.
Grandma appeared to me to not know what had happened, because she kept forgetting. But she had seen them taking the body out of the house on Wednesday night, so I think that it finally sank in. That she was missing Dad became apparent as the week went on, especially after the funeral. Maybe that was because we kept her so busy up until that time. The funeral was Saturday and she went to Church with Linda on Sunday. That was the first Sunday in quite a while that she had gone out, maybe she will want to perk up a little now.
It was so wonderful to see all of our family members, spouses, and grandchildren. I loved it so much and everyone was so kind and helpful. At the viewing on Friday night we saw so many cousins and relatives that we had not seen for a long while; also many friends and relatives, many of which I did not recognize. More than once I found myself asking after someone called me by name, Now who are you? That is embarrasing!! Stanton Taylor, Marsha Miller, (she was one that threw me in the swimming pool after our wedding reception,) Tom Miller, some 32nd ward members who we knew growing up and many cousins and relatives that we did not recognize, were some of the people we saw.
Looking very good in his coffin, Dad waited patiently as we greeted people and thanked them for coming. I know he was there loving seeing everyone again. Dad always was very social and would go out of his way to go and see old friends. Wherever he went he would call or go lookup old friends and loved ones, missionary companions or just acquaintances. He loved people.
Mom was very unemotional, in fact she didn't recognize Dad when she first saw him. She asked who that was. But soon she was holding his hand and touching his face often. A day or two earlier she told me that Dad had told her he would take her with him, and that he had broken his promise. She also did not know why we had come to the mortuary when we got there. I think she comprehended things, though, after a few hours.
Just before Dad died, he had called out Linda's name and Linda sent Alisha up to check and see what he needed, as they were down stairs. That he was dead was obvious to Alisha, who quickly went running downstairs crying to tell her mother. Dee made a good observation about that. He figured that maybe because Kaye and Linda look somewhat alike that Kaye had come for Dad, and he saw her and had mistaken her for Linda, thus calling her name. I'm sure that Kaye had been there when he passed through the veil and that she was also there for his funeral. Not missing it would have been one of her priorities.
At the funeral on Saturday, we again saw many loved ones and friends. It was a very nice tribute to Dad. Each one of his children spoke and paid honor to the many memories that they carried of him. Each talk defined Dad so well and they were so well presented. Bob Larson gave a very emotional tribute to a Grandfather who took care of five orphans who were left without parents. Taking care of them became his priority after the death of their parents. We all cried through that one, and then he had all of his siblings stand up and we could see they were all weeping also. It was very humbling to realize the great father that we had been given and who shared so unselfishly everything he had. There were many, many stories of caring and joy shared.
A mutual feeling of appreciation and love was shared by all as we made our jaunt to the place of burial beside Kaye and Rob and two of Kathy and John's babies who had also passed. The cemetery was attended by many family members, and Ellis gave the dedicatory prayer. It was sad. but also very happy. Some day each of us will be the one laying in the coffin and looking down over our loved ones with joy in the Father's plan. Sharlene and Devon Stone also came to the cemetery. It is weird to see people who are as old as we are and have so many health problems as they do. I felt so blessed as I realized their trials. That we have been greatly blessed as a family became very apparent.
We all traveled to our homes to prepare for the Sabbath day. I attended church at K & K's ward along with Curtis and Jon and AJ and family on Sunday. Jen and Brett and family, Milton and Meg and family, Jon and AJ and family, Laura and Alyson and Trevor and family all went home on Sunday;Wendy and Jeff and Alysa and Alysa and Reed had traveled home right after the funeral.
Because we had made my reservations before we knew when the funeral would be, I was able to stay an extra day and came home today. Kim and Kevin were so kind to us, they really went out of their way. That they had Lucy staying with them and needing to help Kierstin in Logan with her business, compounded the things they had to worry about. They were super hosts!!!
Picking me up at the airport, Dad looked lonely and needing someone to talk to. I felt bad that he had been alone for such a long time. He is a brick, though, and is ready to fire up and start working our responsibilities again.
I feel so appreciative for our family and their desire to be there and support our family and Grandpa Ferrell. So many had to change their plans at the last minute to get time away. They were also trying to get things ready in Nampa for Alyson and Trevor to arrive. They went in and shampooed the carpets, cleaned the floors, dusted and vacuumed, washed and made up the beds, and stocked the cupboards with groceries for them!!! I stand all amazed at the integrity and drive and caring that I feel from them all. I just don't know how we could have been so lucky to have had such an offspring. We are so very proud of everyone including spouses and families. They truly are our example and show us how to live.
Yesterday I was out and about with Kim, Kayli, Cambrielle, and Lucy and one of the girls asked me why I had to wear my missionary badge all the time. I told them that it was because it was supposed to remind me not to smoke!! They laughed!!
Back in Corsicana, I have been home about four hours and we are planning our day for tomorrow. We are waiting to hear from the Cornells. Bob was not feeling well this past week and they did not make it to Sacrament Meeting. We are for sure teaching Nina Fowler tomorrow. I believe it is the plan of Salvation. She is a sweet lady. We haven't turned the corner with her yet, as far a baptism. But it is up to the spirit to show us the way. Also we are taking it very slow with the Burns family, as we do not want to offend them by pushing them. I personally think they are ready to be taught, but my senior companion cautions me that we should not push them too much.
President South has asked us to visit a couple to less actives so we will probably do that tomorrow too. It is nice to get out of Corsicana and drive out in the more rural areas. There are also a few others I need to check on that we need to care about.
artistic smiles dentistry appleton
-
Artistic Smiles Dentistry 3825 East Calumet Street Suite 600. Artistic
Smiles Dentistry Dentist OfficeIn Appleton WI Within 1640mile 3825 E
Calumet St.
...
3 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment