Megan reminded me that I needed to record this story. Manwella is the Hispanic woman who Sister Reviera has brought to church about three times. On Saturday night, Sister Reviera called and wanted us to come over and teach her the first lesson because she was leaving to go home to El Paso this week some time. So as I said, we went over and taught her on Saturday.
Sunday, late afternoon, we went back and taught her the second lesson as well as the Word of Wisdom. We also asked her if she would follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized by someone who had the authority. She replied that she would. At this point I was thinking that this is a good commitment and a baptismal date could be set for 4-6 weeks, giving her time to become accustomed to the teachings and people.
Sister Reviera interpreted it to mean, tomorrow!!! Elder Whiting thought it was way to soon. Sister Reviera replied, "well, could you ask?" Manwella seemed fine about it all. So we carried it forth.
We first talked to the District leader, who just started laughing. "What? Two lessons and she wants to be baptized?" We said, "Yes!" So we got permission from everyone and set up the interviews and the baptism for Monday. After we had contacted everyone and set the whole thing up, I called Sister Reviera and she told me that Manwella had changed her mind for now. I was very disappointed because I just figured this was another miracle that Heavenly Father had brought to pass.
After thinking about it, we are very happy that she changed her mind because it was way too fast. She needs time to be integrated into a Spanish ward down in El Paso.
It is just to scary to baptize them so fast and not established the habits they will need in attending church and finding friends.
We went over this morning and said goodbye to her and hugged her. She is trying to teach me Spanish words so that she doesn't have to learn English? She keeps telling me the names of things. I think I have learned a few words anyway.
I asked Manwella if she was going to continue her lessons with the missionaries and she replied, "yes!" I also asked her if she was going to be baptized and she also said, "yes". So we are thrilled for her and Sister Reviera. What joy we can feel for both of them!
artistic smiles dentistry appleton
-
Artistic Smiles Dentistry 3825 East Calumet Street Suite 600. Artistic
Smiles Dentistry Dentist OfficeIn Appleton WI Within 1640mile 3825 E
Calumet St.
...
3 years ago




1 comment:
What a fun and good woman she is! I'm so happy that you recorded this story for the rest of us to read. :) Have a great week!
Post a Comment